NEWSLETTER PAST ISSUES
To View our past Newsletters, please click on the following links:
Fall 2019 Issue – The Voice from the Strata-sphere
- All About Strata
- Mediation & Arbitration
- The Civil Resolution Tribunal is Here to Stay!
- BYLAW ALERT - The insurance deductible on appeal!
- Recovery of Actual Legal Costs - Life After Baettig
- Existing Glazed Balcony Enclosures - Management, Repair, Replacement, and Beyond
- Pitfalls in Commuications Agreements
Spring 2018 Issue – The Voice from the Strata-sphere – 21st Anniversary Edition
- Up in Smoke!
- Legalization of Non-Medical Cannabis
- Installing Electrical Vehicle Supply Equipment and Charging User Fees
- Dogs, Dogs, Dogs
- Short Term & Long Term Rental Bylaws Fines Up To $1,000.00
- The Cose of Compliance
Fall 2017 Issue – The Voice from the Strata-Sphere
- The Civil Resolution Tribunal - Now a Reality!
- Editorial: 20 Years in Review
- Supreme Court Ideal for Certain Collections
- CRT & Alteration Approval - onus is on the Strata!
- Insurance Deductibles and the Civil Resolutions Tribunal
- Choosing the Civil Resolution Tribunal as the best option
Spring 2017 Issue – The Voice from the Strata-Sphere
- Legislative Break Through – Termination of a Strata Plan with an 80% Vote
- Editorial: Complex Stratas, The Team & Planning
- Types Bylaws
- How Sections Work
- Cancelling Sections
- Relationship Status – It’s Complicated
Winter 2015/2016 Issue - The Voice from the Strata-Sphere
- Legislative Amendments Make It Easier to Terminate a Strata Plan & Winding up a Strata Corporation
- The Guide Dog & Service Dog Act
- Cancelling Sections
- The Anatomy of a Hearing
- The Movie Shoot in Strata
- Short Term Holiday Rentals
Fall 2014 Issue - The Voice from the Strata-Sphere
- Editorial: Pitfalls of Change
- Legislative Changes & Best Practices
- Financing Options
- Implementing Your Depreciation Report
- Depreciation Report Replacement Cost Estimates vs. Project Budgeting
- The Case Against Formal Depreciation Reports
Fall 2013 Issue - The Voice from the Strata-Sphere
- New Limitation Act Alters Collection Procedure Forever
- "Show Me The Money" Collecting Money Owed to the Strata Corportaion
- Questionnaire to Tackle Collections
- Collecting Those Arrears
- Strata Alert: New Limitation Act Dramatically Changes Collection Practice
- How Is Our Council Managing Our Receivables Under The Short Periods Of The New Limitation Act?
Fall 2012 Issue - The Voice from the Strata-Sphere
- Breaking News! The Civil Resoulution Tribunal Will It Become A Reality?
- Bill 44 - Civil Resolution Tribunal Act
- Where Do We Go From Here? Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) in Strata
- From Bliss to This...
- Strata Property Disputes & The Civil Resolution Tribunal
- The Use of Mediation to Resolve Nuisance Disputes in Strata Complexes
- New Program Helps Seniors & People With Disabilites. Modify Homes
- Tribunals: A Solution for Strata Corporation Disputes
Winter 2011 Issue - The Voice from the Strata-Sphere
- Recent Changes To The Strata Property Act & Regulations
- Depreciation Report, CRF & Information Certificates
- The Depreciation Report - Being Sensitive to Owners' Money
- Depreciation Reports
- Sex, Religon, and Reserve Funds
- Rationalizing Renewal-Ready Reserve-Regulaiton
- Who is a "Qualified Person" That Will Develop the Depreciation Report?
Fall 2010 Issue - The Voice from the Strata-Sphere
- " Its Not Fair, It's Just Not Fair"
- Editorial: Unit Entitlement & Significant Unfairness
- Unanimous Resolution Remedy
- Where's Your Money?
- Common Expenses - Not
- Raising Those Strata Fees
- Today's Preparation Determines Tomorrow's Success
- The Hearing - Act Like a Judge
Fall 2009 Issue - The Voice from the Strata-Sphere
- Alteration and Indemnity Agreements
- What Is New On The Leaky Condo Front?
- Alteration Agreements - Record Keeping and Disclosure
- Building Maintenace Tips for Condominium Owners and Strata Councils
- Why Engineered Reserve Funds?
- Strata Corporation Repairs and Maintenance
- When is an Alteration not an Alteration?
Spring 2008 Issue - The Voice from the Strata-Sphere
- A Decade of Achievement! Consumer Protection for BC's New Home Buyers
- A Decade in Review
- The Last 10 Years; A Decade in Review
- A Decade; What Have We Learned?
- 32 Years of Consumer Protection
- The Human Rights Code & Our Little Village
- How Green is My Condo? Making Your Condo Green
- Reserve Fund Studies - A Tool for Stratas to Plan for Their Future Needs
- Energy Use in Buildings
- A Decade of Fire Safety Where Do We Go From Here?
- Nothing is Free, Especially the Fee
- Depreciation Reports - Should Your Strata Corporation Prepare One?
- CWB Strata Solution Account
- Strata Rentals
- Conflicts in Stratas - Past,Present, and Future
Winter 2007 Issue - The Voice from the Strata-Sphere
- Everything You Need to Know About Your Warranty...
- The OD Wardrobe Includes Many Hats!
- How Green is My Condo? Buying a Green Condo
- Super Priority Power Against OD
- Buying Into a New Condominium Development
- Purchasing a Strata Lot in a New Development
Fall 2006 Issue - The Voice from the Strata-Sphere
- Is the Strata Property Act Due For Amendments?
- Editorial: Message From The President
- Is a 3/4 Vote of Owners Required For Expenditures To Defend a Suit?
- Should B.C. Adopt a Mandatory Reserve Fund Study?
- Is it Time to Update the Act?
- Welcome! to Brian Rodonets
Fall 2005 Issue - The Voice from the Strata-Sphere
- Licensing for Strata Managers
- Editorial: Strata Licensing, a Reality
- Strata Management Contracts
- Warranties, Maintenance & Strata Management Licensing
- Buying a Condominium - Some Do's & Don'ts
- Strata Manager Licensing Requirement Questions & Answers
- Licensing of Strata Managers
Winter 2004 Issue - The Voice from the Strata-Sphere
- Adminstrators vs. Arbitrators
- Editorial: Democracy Under Attack - Are There Limits On The Right to Vote?
- When To Appoint An Administrator
- Steps To Appointing An Administrator
- Caselaw Update: Jurisdiction Of An Administrator
- Strata Collection
- Strata Solution Account
- 3/4 Vote - Quick Reference - Sheet
Spring 2002 Issue - The Voice from the Strata-Sphere
- Strata Management After SPA Office Administration Nightmare
- Strata Managers, Are They in Crisis?
- Paying Council Memebers
- Maintenance Planning and Your Strata Manager
- Contingency Reserve Fund
- Containment of Unbudgeted Expenditures
- Unauthorized Expenditures - What Do You Mean It's Not $2000 Per Expenditure?
- Preparing and Conducting a General Meeting
- Strata Manager Licensing - What's the Status?
- Terminating Strata Management Contract
- "Hardship" What Does It Mean?
- The Roles of Effective Management
Fall 2002 Issue - The Voice from the Strata-Sphere
- Committee Operations & Development
- Editorial: Joint & Several Liability Will It Become a Thing Of The Past?
- Civil Liability Review
- What Risks Do You Take By Serving on Council?
- Failure to Obtain 3/4 Vote of Owners Before Commencing a Legal Suit - IS IT FATAL?
- 22 - Year Old Condo Buidling Envelopes False Comfort Due To A Buildings Age Syndrome
- Homeowner Protections Office: Providing No-Interest Loans and PST Relief
- The Truth, The Whole Truth, etc.
Spring 2001 Issue - The Voice from the Strata-Sphere
- Bylaws - Why Bother?
- Editorial - Will Your Bylaws Be Ready?
- SPA - Consumer Protection Legislation?
- The Strata Property Act: A Property Manager's View After Seven Months
- A "Full Repair" or a " Partial Repair" - That is the Question!
- Consequences of Building " Big Buildings" with " Small Building" Standards - What Are They?
- Selecting a Building Envelope Renovator
- Court Cases Answer Questions - But Not Always Definitively!
Fall 2001 Issue - The Voice from the Strata-Sphere
- The Delta Case & Warranty Insurance Providers: The Riverwest (Delta) Case
- Editorial, Will the Delta Victory Mean More Litigation?
- Renovation Warranties - What to Ask!
- The Selection of a Residential Warranty Provider
- New Research & Practices for BEP
- Bylaws & the Strata Property Act
- Windows & Bylaws
- Letters of Assurance & the Local Government Act
- The Delta Success Formula
- Limitation Periods
Spring 2000 Issue - The Voice from the Strata-Sphere
- The Implementation of the Strata Property Act
- Message From The President
- Strata Property Act Highlights
- Bylaws and the Strata Property Act
- Can Strata Council Memembers be Sued? Liability & the Strata Property Act
- Dispute Resolution in Condominiums Changes Under SPA
- And You Thought the Manangement of Strata Plans Was a Challenge in the 90's?
- Why You Need to Have an Insurance Appraisal
- A Case For Licencing Strata Managers Why a Property Manager?
- The Role of the Property Manager In the Retrofit Process
- Is the Code Really to Blame?
- HPO Continues its Efforts to Assist Homeowners and Improve the Quality of Residential Construction
- National Home Warranty Programs Ltd. Sets Standards for Builder Excellence
Fall 2000 Issue - The Voice from the Strata-Sphere
- Form B: Information Certificates - A Consumer Protection Challenge
- Nona Saunders
- Common Expense Collections & SPA - What Has Changed?
- The Immediate Impact of the New 'Strata Property Act'
- To Arbitrate or to Mediate - That is the Question!
- Strata Propert Act - Financial Update
- What is the Cladding of Choice?
- Wet Buildings - An Assessment Perspective
- Building Envelope Renovation Regulations Take Effect in September
- Two Barrett Commissions Later - Where are We?
Spring 1999 Issue - The Voice from the Strata-Sphere
- Strategies & the Special Great Truths!
- Report of The President
- We Are Not Alone!
- Homeowner Protection Regulations Passed
- Duty to Repair & Maintain
- The Strategic Plan - A Necessity
- A Legal Udate - Limitation Periods
- Building Envelope Specialists - Who Are These Guys?
- Building Envelope Specialists - What Do They Do?
- Building Envelope Specialists - What to Expect!
Fall 1999 Issue - The Voice from the Strata-Sphere
- The Leaky Condo: Proving Responsibility
- Message from the President
- Settle the "Leaky Condo" Dispute
- Mediating Construction Disputes
- The Debate About Maintenance Programs for Building Envelopes
- Property Management & Leaky Condos - Redefine the Job!
- What Kind of Contract Should You Use for Your Leaky Condo Retrofit?
- Are Leaking Buildings a Cause for Litigation?
- Update on the Homeowner Protection Office
- Leaky Condos - Who is to Blame?
Spring 1998 Issue - The Voice from the Strata-Sphere
- Condo Consultant Advice
- Report of the President
- Condominuim Arbitration
- Glass - Can You See Through It?
- The Fire Safety Plan
- The "Leaky Condo"
- Preventative Maintenance
- The Building Envelope
- Ask Gord the Weathergard Man
- New Home Warranty Update
- The Financing Alternative
- Leaky Condo Crisis - Damages to One Hunder Million
Fall 1998 Issue - The Voice from the Strata-Sphere
- The Design Professional's Position
- Report of the President
- Annual Conference Series
- A Roofer's View - Protect Your Asset
- Strata Council's Personal Liability
- The Building Envelope
- We've Got a Leaky Condo!
- Governance & the Crisis Situation
- Leaky Condos & Tax Implications
- The New " Strata Property Act"
- Maintain the Value of Your Investment
- Maintenance Managment